A story from China about a young man who makes some promises that are hard to keep because it means he cannot get what he most wants.
Spotlight Country – China
Good stories can give us space in our lives to pause and ponder some bolt of beauty, some truth, or some new way of looking at life. It is what I call, the Story Souvenir.
Souvenir is a French word, meaning to remember. So it is some nugget of truth or some glimmer of truth about what it means to be human that will linger with us long after the last word is uttered – it is what our heart will remember most.
Each month we will pick one story for you to pause and ponder with your little listener – some discussion questions and some background about the country where the story takes place.
This month’s story is from China.
- If you could ask the Wise Man three questions, what would you ask him?
- Have you ever made a promise as Wei did that ended up being very hard to keep?
- Has someone ever broken a promise to you and how did that make you feel?
- Have you ever had to break a promise – why?
- What do you think the story’s souvenir is?
Five Fun Facts about China
1. It is the world’s most populous country with 1.4 billion people.
2. The Chinese were the first to invent paper.
3. The national sport is table tennis or ping pong.
4. The national flower is the plum blossom.
5. The national animal is the giant panda.
Popular Souvenirs from China
Thanks to all of you who send us your listeners’ drawings. Thanks to Emmie Farrah for sending us this beautiful one inspired by our Leelinau – A Fairy Girl E39. Thank you so much, Emmie for sending us this lovely drawing!
If you haven’t already done so, get in touch with us at www.journeywithstory.com and let us know your listener’s favorite story and do send us their drawings and letters so we can share.
Join me next month for December’s Spotlight Story.