A folktale from Laos about a very lazy fig farmer who is cured of his laziness when his wife falls sick.
Spotlight Country – Laos
Good stories can give us space in our lives to pause and ponder some bolt of beauty, some truth, or some new way of looking at life. It is what I call, the Story Souvenir.
Souvenir is a French word, meaning to remember. So it is some nugget of truth or some glimmer of truth about what it means to be human that will linger with us long after the last word is uttered – it is what our heart will remember most.
Each month we will pick one story for you to pause and ponder with your little listener – some discussion questions and some background about the country where the story takes place.
- Do you think it is okay for people to be lazy? Why or why not?
- Why did the King’s niece want to marry Mister Lazybones?
- Do you think that was a good reason?
- Why did Mister Lazybones stop being lazy?
- When Mister Lazybones became rich, why do you think he started being lazy again?
- What is this story’s souvenir?
Five Fun Facts about Laos
1. People from Laos are some of the shortest people in the world.
2. It is known as the Land of a Million Elephants.
3. Its national flower is the frangipani.
4. It is the only landlocked country in Asia.
5. It is home to one of the largest waterfalls in SE Asia.
Popular Souvenirs from Laos
Gold and Silver Ornaments
Happenings With Kathleen
We were thrilled to be able to take our two Goldens, Fiona and Roan, to the Golden Retriever Festival in Glen Affric, Scotland. Every five years the Golden Retriever Club of Scotland hosts this event on the grounds of Guisachan House, where first Golden Retrievers were born 155 years ago.
We made the news in NY Post, NY Times, Washington Post, and USA Today!
See photo below with Roan and Fiona in front row on the right!
Voting closes on September 5, 2023
Join me next month for September’s Spotlight Story.