A story from Finland about a very wise princess who can speak many, many, languages, and whose father insists she must marry someone who can speak a language that she cannot, but no young men can accomplish this task, until…one day a young shepherd comes by, claiming he knows a language the princess does not.
Spotlight Country – Finland
Good stories can give us space in our lives to pause and ponder some bolt of beauty, some truth, or some new way of looking at life. It is what I call, the Story Souvenir.
Souvenir is a French word, meaning to remember. So it is some nugget of truth or some glimmer of truth about what it means to be human that will linger with us long after the last word is uttered – it is what our heart will remember most.
Each month we will pick one story for you to pause and ponder with your little listener – some discussion questions and some background about the country where the story takes place.
This month’s story is from Finland.
- Why do you think the king wanted Marja to marry someone who spoke a language she did not?
- What did Matti tell the king about wisdom?
- Who do you know who is wise? Explain how you know he or she is wise.
- If you could speak another language, what would it be?
- What do you think the story’s souvenir is?
- How do you think you can become wise?
Five Fun Facts about Finland
- Finland is one of the best places to spot the elusive Northern Lights (also known as Aurora Borealis).
- They have some very odd competitions such as: wife carrying, mobile phone throwing, mosquito squashing, swamp soccer, and boot throwing!
- The national bird is a swan.
- The northern area of Finland, Sweden and Norway is called Lapland, where Santa Claus and his reindeer live.
- Finnish people consume one of the highest amounts of milk per person in the world.
Thanks to all of our listeners who have been sending us your drawings inspired by our story episodes. Thanks to Mae, age 7, from Canada, who sent this lovely drawing inspired by E:35 Theseus and the Minotaur.
And a huge thanks to Maelee Innes age 8, who sent me her fabulous drawing inspired by one of my favorite episodes of JWS – The Sugar Mouse Cake.
Don’t forget to send us your drawings at https://journeywithstory.com/contact/ so we can share with others.
Join me next month for January’s Spotlight Story.